Let’s summarize in 5 points the essential steps to keep the intestine healthy and ensure the performance in the gym.
1. Reduce the stressors that have a significant impact on the functions of the intestine and on its health. Even if you feel “unmanly”, a yoga class and some time to relax can be a great help. If every time you train in the gym like crazy, it will do you good to slow down the pace for the love of your innards.
2. Intestinal bacteria are extremely important. Although dairy products are often mistakenly associated with gastrointestinal problems, most people can tolerate a dose, at least small, and what I highly recommend is yogurt with live probiotics; is a natural source of calcium, tryptophan, casein and whey proteins, prebiotic carbohydrates and probiotics. If you tolerate dairy products badly or you avoid them for other reasons, in the best supermarkets are selling new probiotic vegetable drinks.
3. Fibers are almost always taken in insufficient quantities. They are able to lower bad cholesterol (LDL) and blood pressure, as well as to balance blood sugar, avoiding the risk of blood glucose for a simple sandwich. If possible, choose starchy carbohydrates in their integral form, eat fruits and vegetables of different colors and pay attention to natural sources of inulin such as onions, garlic and artichokes, which help to keep your appetite under control.
4. Omega-3 fatty acids: the fact that there is no need to list the benefits is another reason to take them. Opt for vegetable sources such as oils and seeds with which to dress the salad, for example nuts, linseed, hemp oil, soybean oil, pumpkin and sunflower seeds. And eat more fish like mackerel, sardines, salmon and fresh tuna.
5. Sunlight combined with vitamin D supplementation will prevent the deficiencies of this precious substance, as well as restore the gut to health. To protect the gastrointestinal cells, a little L-glutamine on an empty stomach is also useful.
Finding a balance between the stressors of life, training and work, mediating stress and correcting the diet is essential to ensure that the efforts made do not go up in smoke. We hope these pages have helped you understand how important a healthy gut is for physical efficiency and muscle development, in the present and in the long run.
And always remember this quote: “An army marches on his stomach” – Napoleon Bonaparte